COPYRIGHT, PLEASE NOTE

All the material on this website is copyrighted to J-P Metsavainio, if not otherwise stated. Any content on this website may not be reproduced without the author’s permission.

Have a visit in my portfolio

Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Grande mosaic of Cygnus, 18-panels, over 150 hours and 22 x 14 degrees of sky



I have originally published this image back at December 9, 2011 After that I have shot many details out of this are of sky with much longer focal length instrument. Mainly with Celestron Edge 11" reflecting telescope. I have now updated this photo with a new image material and I thought, that it's a good time to republish this updated image again.

The Great mosaic image of constellation Cygnus has 18 individual panels stitched together seamlessly. Each panel has shot three times for a color image. First I shot the light from an ionized hydrogen (H-alpha), then light from an ionized sulfur (S-II) and last the light from an ionized oxygen (O-III). The final image has a resolution of 15.000 x 10.000 pixels. I shot all frames with the Canon EF 200mm f1.8 camera optics at full open, QHY9 astrocam and Baader narrowband filter set.
There are no noise reduction, star reduction or sharpening used for this mosaic. It's very well in focus due to temp compensating focuser I made for this lens. (At f1.8 the critical focus zone is about 7 metric microns.)

Grande mosaic of Cygnus
Please, click for a large image, it's worth it! (3600 x 2300 pixels)


Image is in mapped colours, from the emission of ionized elements, R=Sulphur, G=Hydrogen and B=Oxygen.


Original 1:1 size detail from the mosaic image above
Please, click for a large image, it's worth it! (2700 x 1700 pixels)




Orientation in the sky
Click for a large image



Wonders of Swan

I have made a collection out of the photos I have shot from this area of the sky. I have used 517 hours of exposure time  to capture details from Cygnus between 2009 and 2018. I used this material to update my mosaic image of the Cygnus constellation. Full listing and detailed information can be found from here: https://astroanarchy.blogspot.com/2018/11/treasures-of-swan.html

Klick for a very large image 5500 x 3300 pixels




Chinese Dragon Nebula 
Click for a large image

The very large, 18-panels, mosaic of the Cygnus was my main work at Autumn season 2011.
I named it to the Chinese Dragon Nebula due to reason seen in the image above.
Image spans 22 degrees horizontally. (22 degrees = 44 full Moons side by side in the sky)








No comments: