COPYRIGHT, PLEASE NOTE

All the material on this website is copyrighted to J-P Metsavainio, if not otherwise stated. Any content on this website may not be reproduced without the author’s permission.

Have a visit in my portfolio

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Starting a new project, IC 443

A cosmic A-bomb

Last night I started a new imaging project with the IC 443, supernova remnant in Gemini.
Not a very promicing start though, I got less than two hours of usable data after spending whole night shooting it. There was lots of thin upper clouds and they ruined majority of my frames. I'll shoot more H-a, maybe 6-7 hours, Sulfur and Oxygen as well.

I will test a new imaging system with this objet, I call it "VARE" Variable Resolution imaging. The idea is shoot part of the data binned 1x1, like an example here, and rest of it binned down to 2x2 - 4x4.
By that way, I can use high S/N details from a 1x1 binned image and low S/N areas from other bin modes.
Using binning is basicly same as use of the faster optical configuration, I have much greater sensitivity at cost of resolution. For example if I bin camera down 3x3, I have allmoust nine times more sensitivity!
I will write a tutorial about VARE-method, after I have tested it.

Telescope, Meade LX200 GPS 12" @ f5
Camera, QHY9
Guiding, SXV-AO @ 7Hz
Image Scale, 0,75 arcseconds/pixel
-
Exposures:
H-alpha 5x1200s, binned 1x1, Flats. Bias and Darks

2 comments:

Risuliisa said...

Hei, löysin ystävän neuvosta sivustosi ja täytyy sanoa, että olen mykistynyt kuinka kauniita kuvia olet ottanut! ja kuinka kaunis on meidän avaruus:) upeita kuvia

J-P Metsavainio said...

Kiitos kovasti!

J-P