COPYRIGHT, PLEASE NOTE

All the material on this website is copyrighted to J-P Metsavainio, if not otherwise stated. Any content on this website may not be reproduced without the author’s permission.

Have a visit in my portfolio

Saturday, September 28, 2024

NEW SETUP FOR MY ASTRONOMICAL NATURE IMAGING WORK

 I haven't publish much new images in past two three years since I have had some health problems. Now I'm good as new and can start working again. Past two years I have been slowly building a new imaging platform. I have done some shorter focal length work past six years, now it's time to go closer again.


OPTICS

System is build around Celestron EDGE 14" telescope, I selected this scope due to its light gathering capacity, 356mm diameter and 3910mm native focal length (Reduced with a massive size 0.7 reducer for the EDGE 14") One main difference to normal Celestron telescope is that I have added a secondary mirror focuser (by Optec)  to get rid of a mirror flop, it can be a problem, especially with a heavy mirror as this telescope has. generally this scope has an excellent optical quality. 

In future I can add a "HyperStar system" to replace secondary mirror and use this telescope as fast f2 astrograph. 

Secondary mirror focuser, Note a curved vane for the flat power/data cable, no diffraction spikes!



MOUNT

I ended up to a MESU Mount MARK II since it has 100kg capacity at imaging work and a periodic error less than 4 arcseconds peak-to-peak, impressive numbers indeed. It also has zero lash back due to its friction drive system.
The pillar I ordered with the mount is bended knee pillar type, that mean, no meridian flip is needed and telescope can track whole sky without stopping. The pillar came in easy to handle parts and assembly was easy and the assembled pillar is very rigid under the weight of heavy telescope, counter weights and accessories. Mesu mount is absolute beautiful engineering work. Support from manufacture is also very good. I had some minor problems with settings at first but they get solved in no time after we went it trough with remote connection, while on site. Bottom line, money wise this mount is a real bargain, if compared its features to any other brand or model of mount.

Bended Knee Pillar angle at my location 65 degree North. 
Counter weights are stainless steal weight lifting weights. (~35kg)

The 14" Telescope barely fits to my SkyShed POD



CAMERA AND ACCESSORIES


CAMERA
The Main camera is "new" Apogee Alta U9000M with Apogee Filter wheel. It's a second hand camera originally used for microscopic work and looks like bran new, There wasn't any mechanical shutter but I moved a shutter from my old Apogee Alta U16 to this new camera. (My old camera died to old age)
It has 12 micron pixels and it's perfect match to this optical configuration giving imaging scale of 0.9 arcseconds per pixel. The full image spans 46.1 x 46.1 arcminutes of sky. (One degree is 60 arcminutes and Full Moon spans around 30 arcminutes of sky)

INSTRUMENT ROTATOR
At first time I have added an instrument rotator to imaging path. I didn't use it earlier since there is always some flexure. The Wanderer Astro Rotator Pro should has absolute zero flexure. I was skeptical to this since if it moves, it will flex. There is a patented system based on neodymium magnets around the light path holding everything tightly together.  After measuring carefully everything with the CCD-inspector software from test images I can say, it really has no flexures at all. It's only 18 mm thick and fit to my limited back focus nicely. It can handle flawlessly all the heavy load I have placed behind the rotator.

ACTIVE OPTIC UNIT
Maybe an overkill but I have added an active optics unit to the light path. It's SXV-AO from Starlight Xpress UK.
I have had really good experiences with this device and long focal length imaging during the years. It doesn't correct the actual seeing so much but it corrects every small or big error from heat bubbles and vibrations from heavy traffic or wind and it does that really really fast. It's as easy to use as any OAG, especially when I have a rotator now. With 14" scope I can guide around 10 HZ by using mag 11 guide star. The MESU Mount is really good but there is lots of mass to move when guiding corrections are made. With AO there is just a small refracting glass element to move instead whole mount and telescope.

DATA & POWER BOX
An other new accessory is power and data box from Wanderer Astro. It makes the system less chaotic with all the data and power cords. Also controlling power and data connections can be done remotely in one software. It can handle nearly 20 amp at peak power.

DEW BUSTER
There is also my old Dew Buster installed to the telescope. it can keep the temperature just little over the dew point, this prevent the heat current that can ruin the image, if heater is even little too hot.

FAN
I added a 70 mm computer fan to the telescopes air went to reduce the cool down time. There is a air filter in the went to prevent dust getting inside the OTA. I can control the fan speed by the Power Box software.

QHY POLEMASTER
This is a new addition and I was amazed how easy it was to use. Polar align took maybe 15 min and it's easy to redo at any time needed. here is a REVIEW about this little helper,



Telescope elements labeled

QHY Polemaster, lens cover removed and ready to the action.


LENS COVER

As a last item here is a lens cover for Celestron EDGE 14" telescope. It's a simple and a must accessory to prevent dust in the collector lens. How ever, in my case there is a secondary mirror focuser sticking out and it prevents to use the standard Celestron aluminium cover over the telescope. 
I solved a problem by cutting a circular hole in the lens cover. After that I bought a steel bowl from local market ( it was just 5 € or about 5 $)  I sprayed it matt black and glued it to the cover with an elastic, rubber like, superglue. 

A steel bowl glued over the hole in lens cover.







No comments: