All the material on this website is copyrighted to J-P Metsavainio, if not otherwise stated. Any content on this website may not be reproduced without the author’s permission.

Have a visit in my portfolio

Vieraile portfoliossani

Sunday, September 14, 2008

New flat "box" with EL-sheet.

Last winter I had lots of problems with bad flats.
I managed to buy one A2 size sheet of electro luminescent material.
It works as a perfectly uniform light source and delivers perfect astronomical flats.
I used unexpencive, light weight, plastic frames to protect the light source.
(Not the one with real glas, it's too heavy for the purpose)
As seen in the image, I used two rubber bands with hooks to attach the panel.

In action


giuseppe said...

It's a great idea!!

Thank you for sharing it!

I've read that it is possible to cut the sheet in the shape you like, but I wonder if this operation would damage the sheet.

Bye, and thanks again!

...and Compliments to you for the great works and your astro-anarchyness!!! :D

J-P Metsävainio said...

Thanks Giuseppe!

Least some EL-sheets can be cut.
You better double check this though.

I prefer to leave it at the original shape for the possible later use with different equipments.
Overhanging part is not making any harm.
BTW. I have added some paper sheets to front of the EL-sheet
to dim it down a litle, now the needed exposure time is between 1-5s. depending the filter used.


Europa said...


Thanks for confirming my believe on using this material for the flat.

By the way, can you let me know about the inverter which came with the set whether it accept 12VDC or 220VAC. It would be nice if it is 12VDC because we can use it in the field with battery.

Thanks again for sharing.


J-P Metsävainio said...

Chote, I know there is EL-sheets
runned by 12VDC. I run it 220V.
You might want to ask from a some of the dealers of the EL-sheets.

Btw. I'm using it inside of the sheap plastic frames.
I have added few sgeets of whit paper to front of it to
cut down a brightness a litle.
An other problem was reflections between the scope
and a shiny transparent plastic
in a frame.