COPYRIGHT, PLEASE NOTE

All the material on this website is copyrighted to J-P Metsavainio, if not otherwise stated. Any content on this website may not be reproduced without the author’s permission.

Have a visit in my portfolio

Thursday, January 20, 2011

IC 1396 reprocessed




Since my processing technique gets better and weather doesn't give any support, I have reprocessed some older images. There is now star colors added and other processing is tweaked too.

IC 1396
In constellation Cepheus



Image is in HST-palette, (HST=Hubble Space Telescope)
from the emission of ionized elements, R=Sulfur, G=Hydrogen and B=Oxygen.
Star colors are mixed from the NB channels, Red=H-a, G=O-III and B= 85%O-III + 15%H-a.

Nebula is imaged with a Tokina AT 300mm f2.8 camera optics and the QHY8 cooled astro camera.
Technical details with an original image.

Natural color composition from the emission of ionized elements, R=80%Hydrogen+20%Sulfur, G=100%Oxygen and B=85%Oxygen+15%Hydrogen to compensate otherwise missing H-beta emission. This composition is very close to a visual spectrum. 


Star colors are mixed from the NB channels, Red=H-a, G=O-III and B= 85%O-III + 15%H-a.


Original versions from October 2008, with technical details:



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi JP,

I was admiring your work once again and looking at the 300mm Tokina images. I noticed that you have used the QHY9 together with a filterwheel. How did you do that? I have a Nikon 300mm F2.8 for that purpose, but it has only about 55mm of backfocus, which is eaten up by the adapter nikon to T and the camera body itself, nomore room for a filtersolution. Can you explain?

Peter

J-P Metsavainio said...

Hi peter,

FW's are kind of slim now a days. My QHY-FW takes about as much space as a filter drawer I used earlier. I have a Canon EF 200mm f1.8, and it works with a FW too.

I will take a photo tonight and post it to here to see.

Note!
Least a Tokinal lens is extremely sensitive to a right distance, not too much nor too litle. I had terrible image quality at first with my Tokina. After I added 0.5mm spacer, the image quality turned to perfect!

alexander297 said...

How can we connect a Nikon lens to the QHY9/FW?
Is there a single adaptor?

J-P Metsavainio said...

Hi,

I have replaced the camera lens bayonet with a threaded adapter. The best place to ask, if there is an adapter available, is the QHYCCD forum, please have a look here: http://www.qhyccd.com/ccdbbs/